- You send your servant to the lady with a note requesting a visit
- Your servant travels to the lady’s house and gives the note to her servant
- Her servant gives it to her. If she wants to see you, she tells her servant yes and indicates when calling hours are: perhaps Tuesday and Thursday from 3-4
- Her servant tells your servant
- Your servant returns to tell you
Some things really do get easier over time! I wonder how Victorians would have liked email?
Stay tuned for more fascinating tidbits from Victorian Christmas in Williamsport, PA! If you enjoy this page, please like it!
Photo by Jeanne Gehret